I write a lot about my experience with chronic illness, my diet and my faith, but there are many things about me that you probably don't know. This is a fun post I wrote over on Instagram, but I wanted to share it with my readers here too. You might be familiar with the #20FunFacts tag that's been going around on social media - this is my response to that.
My Life Story In 20 Sentences
1. I was born and raised in South Africa, on the East Coast, in the Kwa-Zulu Natal province, also known as The Zulu Kingdom.
2. I remember the first black girl that came to our all-white school after apartheid was abolished and the transition began - I was about 12 years old - and that's when I started noticing the inequality and separateness around me.
3. We didn't have lions roaming the streets, but we had visiting vervet monkeys, peacocks, a variety of snakes and there'd be a chorus of frogs and toads to sing us to sleep at night!
4. I speak 3 languages fluently: English, Afrikaans and Italian, but I also know a few words in Zulu, Spanish and French.
5. My favourite subjects at school were geography, science, biology, art and religious education, but I really disliked physical education and history back then!
6. My first job, which I loved, was working as a cashier in a supermarket in South Africa, I was quickly promoted to the cigarette counter and then the deli.
7. After leaving high school, I studied Beauty Therapy and ran one of our tutor's salons while studying, but after my studies I never worked in that sector again.
8. My family moved from South Africa to Italy in 2000 and I lived there for 10 years before I moved to England at the end of 2010.
9. I have moved house 28 times in my 39 years - I love the excitement of moving to a new place and decorating a new space!
10. I studied to become an English teacher in Italy, teaching English as a second language to children and adults, a mixture of individuals and groups everyday, and I loved it!
11. I have never had a drivers license for a car, but I rode a scooter in South Africa and in Italy - so much fun!
12. I moved to London with no job or accommodation lined up, my friend and I each had just a carry-on bag and dreams of finding better job opportunities - and praise God we both did!
13. In London, I worked as a teaching assistant helping children with various disabilities and I loved this job even more than all the others!
14. I started going to church for the first time when I was 30 - although I'd always considered myself a Christian, and prayer and Bible reading were huge for me throughout my whole life, I just never attended a church apart from an odd Easter service as somebody's guest.
15. I find it very hard to pray for myself, so I hardly ever do, which I think is strange, but maybe there are others out there like me?
16. I love being around water - the ocean is definitely my happy place, but rivers and streams are almost as good, so calming and refreshing!
17. I love gardening and being out in nature, but am allergic to dust and pollen, so it doesn't really work.
18. I love being creative - drawing, painting, lettering, calligraphy, crochet, knitting, decoupage - and when I was a teen I even sewed myself some clothes!
19. As much as I enjoy technology and social media, I absolutely love paper and pens and prefer to write things down the old way.
20. I am extremely shy in person, I don't feel comfortable in social situations unless it's with people I know intimately - family and very close friends - one of the reasons I have always loved writing, I find it much easier to express my thoughts and opinions in writing.
If you've just read this, then: Tag - it's your turn! I'd love to read your 20 fun facts - let me know if you've posted yours on social media, leave a link in the comments below of just share them directly in the comment section!
More About My Life
Let's Stay In Touch
Housebound Lifestyle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
M.E. Awareness: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | The ME/CFS Community
Vibrant Hope Art: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Support My Work: Buy My Art | Shop My Favourite Things
Or if you'd like to send me something, here's my Amazon Wishlist - Thank you!
This blog was designed using Thrive Themes.