Can you really have a movie night without a pizza? For months after I had transitioned to keto, I didn’t have any pizza. The crusts are loaded with grains which just don’t work for the ketogenic diet, so I was very happy when I stumbled upon this recipe. When I tasted it for the first time I almost cried. This recipe is flop-proof and tastes so good!
The recipe I’m sharing here is the one my mum uses to make my pizzas, it originally comes from the Fat Head movie’s website. It’s basically just the recipe for the base that’s from Fat Head, but I will also share our recipe for the sauce and some topping ideas. You will need to prepare any toppings ahead of time as the base is cooked separately and then will be topped with ready cooked toppings.
Fat Head Pizza Base
Makes 8 slices, each approx: 141cal | 3g C | 11g F | 8g P
- 1 and a half cups grated mozzarella
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (soft cheese in the UK)
- 1 egg
- garlic salt
- parchment paper and cookie sheet
- Melt mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in the microwave – heat on high for 1min, then mix and heat again for 30sec, stir again.
- Stir in the egg and almond flour.
- Wet your hands and spread the dough thinly on the parchment paper, it should be smooth. If it’s stringy then the cheese is too cold, heat in the microwave again for 20sec.
- Poke holes in the flattened base with a fork.
- Sprinkle garlic salt (or regular salt and herbs of your choice)
- Bake in the oven at 220*C for 8 min, check it and poke any bubbles with a fork and continue baking for a total of 12-14min or until slightly brown on top.
- Top with ready cooked toppings (prepare these in advance) and return to the oven to heat up and melt the cheese to your liking.
My mum follows these instructions and it comes out perfectly every time. I hope you enjoy your keto pizza as much as I do!
Tomato Sauce for Pizza
To cover 8 slices, each approx: 10cal | 1g C | 0.6g F | 0.2g P
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 20g onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 100g unsweetened Italian chopped tomato (usually comes in a jar, carton or tin)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the onions and crushed garlic in the coconut oil
- Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper and cook until boiling point, then simmer for a few minutes so flavours combine.
- Set aside until base is cooked and ready to be topped.
- Spread over pizza base before adding your favourite toppings
Pizza Topping Ideas
Remember to calculate your macros for the toppings, if spread out evenly you can calculate approximate macros for each slice by dividing total macros by how many slices you have cut or eaten. Not all these ideas are low histamine, check your histamine list to avoid your personal triggers.
- Chicken and bell peppers
- Bacon, feta and mushrooms
- Tuna with capers, onions, yellow bell peppers or olives
- Thinly sliced and grilled aubergine, courgette and bell peppers
- A combination of different cheeses (mozzarella, feta, cheddar, gorgonzola, spicy, sweet, etc)
I hope these recipes and ideas will help you enjoy your keto journey even more. Please let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried any of these or have discovered any amazing toppings you’d like to share. Buon appetito!